Frequently Asked Questions
Our device has been thoroughly tested and has been validated by the VLB Berlin (Versuch- u. Lehranstalt für Brauerei in Berlin).
As written by the VLB Berlin “The results of the Oculyze system are closely comparable with those obtained using the microscopic Thoma chamber method … using the Oculyze system does not require laboratory equipment such as a microscope and does not require trained staff for the microscopic examination. Using the Thoma chamber everything has to be done manually (counting the cells and calculation of the results), while the Oculyze system automates the counting and calculation of the results. With the Oculyze system the cell concentration and viability can be analysed within one fast measurement. Finally we can say, that the Oculyze system offers a very good, fast and cost efficient alternative for the determination of the cell concentration and viability of bottom fermenting yeast strains without the need of complex laboratory equipment.”
You can read the full report here.
We have developed a hand-held microscope with high magnification (~400X), it allows for the visualization of objects less than 10µm (i.e. yeast cells). The solution consists of a portable optical module, a smartphone, an application and a connection to the server hosting the image analysis software. The optical module is attached to a smartphone and the magnified image is visible through the app on the screen. The system then sends the images using WLAN or cellphone data to the server that analyses the pictures using advanced computer vision techniques and returns the results within seconds. All images are processed and saved in the cloud.
- Oculyze FW microscope
- strong & sturdy portable carry case
- measuring cylinder
- methylene violet
- pasteur pipettes
- reaction containers
- cleaning cotton swabs
- sample chambers
- plastic syringes
Additionally, each customer will have direct access to our customer support team.
Your package comes with two chambers that can last for months if they are cleaned properly after each use. Please refer to the maintenance video on our training page for a how-to-guide on cleaning your chambers. Please visit our web shop or contact us at email@example.com to find out more about ordering additional chambers.
Alkaline Methylene Violet
- You can purchase the ready to use solution from our web shop.
- Or you can mix it yourself. The needed components are: Methylene Violet 3RAX, Glycine and 1M Sodium hydroxide solution.
The recipe can be found here: DE or EN
Alkaline Methylene Blue
- There is no ready to use solution available for purchase.
- You will need to mix it yourself. The needed components are: Methylene Blue, Glycine and 1M Sodium hydroxide solution.
The recipe can be found here: DE or EN.
For Methylene Violet and Methylene Blue components we have a list of different suppliers based on your location. If you are interested please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- we encrypt many of our services using SSL
- access to your Oculyze data is secured in all our services via a login
- we review our collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to protect against unauthorized access to systems
- we restrict access to personal data to Oculyze employees and contractors who must know the data in order to process it for us and who are subject to strict confidentiality obligations and may be subject to disciplinary action or terminated if they fail to comply with these obligations
Additionally, we conduct regular backups of our system to ensure that your data is always accessible. Even if you lose your device, your previous data and results will not be lost.